|First||Previous (PART VII Amendment of Totalisator Act, 1929)||Next (PART IX Amendment of Licensing Acts, 1833 to 1988)|
IRISH HORSERACING INDUSTRY ACT, 1994
Amendment of Betting Act, 1931
Amendment of Betting Act, 1931.
“‘licensed bookmaker’ means—
(a) a person (not being a body corporate or an unincorporated body of persons) who is the holder of a bookmaker's licence issued under section 7 of this Act, or
(b) a company established under section 36 of the Irish Horseracing Industry Act, 1994, to carry on business as a bookmaker that holds a licence issued under section 7A of this Act,
and for the time being in force.”.
“Issue of bookmaker's licence to company established under section 36 of Irish Horseracing Industry Act, 1994.
7A (1) A company established under section 36 of the Irish Horseracing Industry Act, 1994, to carry on business as a bookmaker that applies to the Revenue Commissioners in writing in the prescribed form for a bookmaker's licence commencing on such date (being either the next following 1st day of December or a day not more than 14 days after the date of the application) as specified in the application shall, upon delivery to the Revenue Commissioners of an application for a bookmaker's licence and payment to the Revenue Commissioners by the applicant of the excise duty required by law to be paid for taking out such licence as is specified in such application, be issued by the Revenue Commissioners with a bookmaker's licence in accordance with this section.
(2) A bookmaker's licence issued under this section shall be in the prescribed form and shall state the name and registered office of the company to whom it is issued and shall operate and be expressed to authorise such company to act and carry on business as a bookmaker during the period commencing on the date specified therein (which shall be the date specified in that behalf in the application for such licence) and ending at midnight on the next following 30th day of November, but subject and without prejudice to all restrictions and prohibitions for the time being imposed by law in respect of the places in which the business of bookmaking may be carried on.”.
(3) Section 8 (1) of the Betting Act, 1931 , is hereby amended by the insertion after “premises in which the business of bookmaking is carried on” of “, other than a premises being a betting office (within the meaning of the Irish Horseracing Industry Act, 1994),” and the said subsection, as so amended, is set out in the Table to this section.
(4) The Betting Act, 1931 , and this section may be cited together as the Betting Acts, 1931 and 1994.
(5) This section shall come into operation on the establishment day.
(1) The Revenue Commissioners shall continue to keep in the prescribed form the register (in this Act referred to as the register of bookmaking offices) established and heretofore kept by them under the Betting Act, 1926, of premises in which the business of bookmaking is carried on, other than a premises being a betting office (within the meaning of the Irish Horseracing Industry Act, 1994), and shall register therein all such premises as they are by virtue of this Act required to register therein.