|First||Previous (THIRD SCHEDULE Governing Authority)||Next (FIFTH SCHEDULE Superannuation)|
UNIVERSITIES ACT, 1997
section 24 (3).
1. The chief officer of a university shall, subject to this Act, manage and direct the university in its academic, administrative, financial, personnel and other activities and for those purposes has such powers as are necessary or expedient.
2. In performing his or her functions the chief officer shall be subject to such policies as may be determined from time to time by the governing authority and shall be answerable to the governing authority for the efficient and effective management of the university and for the due performance of his or her functions.
3. (1) A chief officer may delegate any of his or her functions to an employee of the university, including any functions delegated to the chief officer in accordance with section 25 (2), unless they are so delegated to the chief officer subject to the condition that they shall not be sub-delegated, and the employee shall be answerable to the chief officer for the performance of those functions.
(2) Notwithstanding any such delegation, the chief officer shall at all times remain answerable to the governing authority in respect of the functions so delegated.
4. A chief officer shall not hold any other office or position without the consent of the governing authority.
5. A chief officer shall be entitled to be a member of and preside over any and every committee appointed by the governing authority.
6. A person who, immediately before the commencement of Part III , was employed as the President of a constituent college or as Master of the Recognised College of St. Patrick's College, Maynooth shall, if he or she so consents, be appointed as the chief officer of the corresponding constituent university on that commencement.
7. Unless he or she otherwise resigns, retires or is removed from office, a chief officer shall hold office for a period of 10 years and, in the case of a chief officer to whom paragraph 6 applies, any period spent as President of a constituent college or as Master of the Recognised College of St. Patrick's College, Maynooth before the commencement of Part III shall be reckoned as part of that 10 year period.